Stay with a valid biometric passport

If you have a valid biometric passport, you can stay in Slovakia and the Schengen Area for 90 days.

What to do if I want to stay in Slovakia for longer than 90 days?

In order to be able to legally stay in Slovakia for longer, you need to decide to apply for one form of stay – temporary shelter or asylum.

What is temporary shelter?

Temporary shelter provides protection for foreigners fleeing from war conflicts, the aftermath of humanitarian disasters, or constant or mass violation of human rights in their country. It is the quickest form of protection which can be provided, enabling foreigners to have access to accommodation, meals, medical care, and to stay and work in Slovakia

Temporary shelter registration ↗︎

Who can apply for temporary shelter and how?

You can apply for it in the large-capacity Assistance Centre in Bottova Street in Bratislava. Adults must apply for temporary shelter in person. In the case of minors, the applications must be filed by their legal representatives. Minors must always be present at the filing of the application forms.

  • If you are able to confirm your identity (passport, ID card), you will receive temporary shelter immediately after registration.
  • If you do not have any identification documents, you will receive notice on the decision on your temporary shelter status shortly – usually, within 3 days. You will receive accommodation, meals, emergency medical care and hygiene supplies straightaway.

Is it better to apply for temporary shelter or for asylum?

In the current situation, we recommend Ukrainians in Slovakia to apply for the status of temporary shelter than for asylum. If you apply for asylum, you will be able to work only after the decision on your asylum request or additional protection is issued (or if it is not determined within 9 months after the date on which the request is filed).

Everybody with the status of temporary shelter can move freely within Slovakia, travel to a different EU country or travel to Ukraine and come back to the EU later.

What should I do if I want to return to Ukraine for good?

If you decide to return to Ukraine without planning to return to Slovakia as a refugee, it is necessary to resign your status of temporary shelter holder – in writing, by a letter sent to:

Migration Office of the Ministry of Interior Pivonkova 6, 812 72 Bratislava

After filing such a statement – on resigning the temporary shelter status – your status of temporary shelter holder will be revoked.